Auto Club Speedway President Dave Allen Talks About Auto Club 400 NASCAR Weekend
At the end of last year, Dave Allen was named President of Auto Club Speedway by the parent company, International Speedway Corporation, President - John R. Saunders.
Dave was picked to succeed Gillian Zucker, who recently became president of business operations for the Los Angeles Clippers Basketball team after a 9 year run at ACS. Gillian came to be President of Auto Club Speedway after stints in executive management of Kansas Speedway and Daytona International Speedway.
The track, initially called California Speedway, was built in the late 1990s by racing mogul Roger Penske. Allen joined Penske at the track in 1999 and became senior director of sales and marketing in 2002.
Allen most recently served as the track's vice president of sales and marketing, and helped Zucker complete the naming rights with Auto Club of Southern California in 2008.
In 2015, there have been a few motorsports events already at ACS - but none are as large in terms of fan interest as next week's event, The Auto Club 400 with NASCAR on March 22, and the MAVTv 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race set for June 27.
Welcome Dave Allen ...
You have been involved with Auto Club Speedway since near its beginning - What has most impressed you about the facility and its evolution through the last 16 years since you came on board?
Last Thursday, it was announced Auto Club Speedway will upgrade its safety features in Turn 1 by adding about 600 feet of tire-barrier inside the turn. What are the future plans and timing concerning a more permanent solution to safety and walls around the track?
Contributed from Facebook: When was the track last resurfaced? - Any plans on resurfacing the track?
The facility at Auto Club Speedway has a large infield - Indianapolis Motor Speedway, where the Indy 500 is held, has successfully transformed its infield into a very compelling road course race track - reminiscent of the layout pace found at the track in Portland Oregon ... is Auto Club Speedway planning on attracting additional professional racing through a robust road course addition as IMS has done?
|Dave Allen, President of Auto Club Speedway, takes a swing from the grandstands tee box at Auto Club Speedway. Image Credit: Joann DeLeoz Young via Auto Club Speedway (2015)|
Speaking of road course racing, March 10th, you were in a track event promotion on involving golf with multifaceted racecar driver AJ Allmendinger - who, by the way, is having his most promising start to the 2015 NASCAR season (currently P5 in points) with the Kroger/USO sponsored Chevy of JTG Daugherty Racing. Tell us how this came about and some of the impressions and conversation you had with the IndyCar, Sports Car, and NASCAR driver during this golfing challenge.
The NASCAR Hauler Parade begins the NASCAR weekend on March 19th at 5:00pm PT, with Qualifications on March 20th in a knockout format - please highlight the events surrounding Qualifications? What do fans need to be on the look out for while attending Race Day for the Auto Club 400 with NASCAR this coming weekend on March 22?
Schedule for the Auto Club 400 weekend at Auto Club Speedway (March 19-22, 2015):
• Thursday, March 19 @ 5:00pm PT is the NASCAR Hauler Parade - Come welcome your favorite NASCAR team to Southern California (begins at 6:00pm from Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Baseball Stadium)
• Friday, March 20 is Pole Day (NASCAR Qualifying Day)
• Saturday, March 21 is the NASCAR Xfinity (formerly called Nationwide) Series Treatmyclot.com 300
• Sunday, March 22 is the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 400
• Fifth Cup race on the 2015 schedule
• Free parking, unbelievable menu items and a full weekend of entertainment, live music and fun await fans in the Speedway’s FanZone.
• Tickets start at $45. To purchase tickets call 800-944-RACE (7223), log on to www.autoclubspeedway.com or visit the Auto Club Speedway Ticket Office.
• Fans can take Metro Link from Lancaster, Oxnard or Oceanside directly to the track for $19 roundtrip.
• Auto Club 400 Race will air on FOX beginning at 12:30pm PT
... notes from The EDJE